|The Boyanna Church|
|The church is a monument of the Bulgarian mediaeval architecture and religious pictorial art. It consists of three parts, the eastern and oldest of which was built in 11th c.The mural paintings of the Boyanna church belong to three separate periods - 11 th, 13 th, and 14 th -15 th c. respectively.The monument is famous for the high artistic value of the murals from 1259, comprising 89 scenes and 240 figures. The power of their vivid expressiveness and originality is based on the entirely new for the Middle Ages aesthetic humanism as well as the exceedingly realistic manner of presenting the images. Judging by the style and the blending of mixed fresco-distemper techniques, it is believed that the unknown Bulgarian artist was trained at the Turnovo School of Fine Art. The frescoes represent some of the most valuable works of European mediaeval art, distinguished by explicitly outlined renaissance artistic devices and patterns. The church is situated at a 8 km distance from Sofia. It was announced a monument of UNESCO in 1979.|
|The Kazanluck Thracian Crypt|
The crypt is representative of the Thracian
architectural and pictorial art from the end of the 4 th and the
beginning of 3 rd c. B.C. It is a monument of exceptionally great
worth, discovered in 1944 beneath a mound in the vicinity of the
town of Kazanluck.
|The Madara Horseman|
The only monumental stone relief in Europe, dated from the beginning of 8 th c. It is hewn into sheer cliffs at a height of 23 metres on the north-west slope of the Madara plateau. The relief presents a horseman who has speared a lion, together with a dog following the horse. The image conveys a simbolic significance. It is a scene of triumph, incarnating the grandeur of the Bulgarian ruler and the power of the Bulgarian state. Two interlaced artistic traditions can be observed in the portrayal - the tabular and ornamental representation of animal figures, characteristic of the East and the antique tradition of plastic art, typical of the Mediterranean. The relief is surrounded by three engraved inscriptions, written in Greek. This rocky chronicle can be regarded a reflection of important political events, resulting from the Bulgarian-Byzantine relations in the 8 th - 9 th c. This is where the name ’Bulgarian’ appears for the first time as compared to all other known Bulgarian monuments. It was announced a UNESCO monument in 1979.
|The Rila Monastery|
The biggesst monastery complex on the Balkan peninsula (outside Athon). A stately and imposing monument of the Bulgarian mediaeval and renaissance architecture and pictorial art. Founded in 10 th c. by the Bulgarian saint Ivan Rilski, the monument is situated in the north-west part of the Rila mountains at a height of 1100 m. Its present outer looks date back to the beginning of 19 th c. The monastery complex has a rectangular form with a total area of 8800 square metres. The Tower of Khrelyo (built in 1335) and the Principal monastery church ‘Rozhdestvo Bogorodichno’ (The Virgin Mary’s Birth) - built in 1834-37 - are situated within the limits of the inner complex courtyard with an area of 3200 sq. m. Over 300 monastic cells as well as four chapels are situated in the four-storeyed residential wings. The walls and ceiling of the monastery are richly depicted with murals and ornamented with wood-carving. The monumental decoration of the Principal church was the work of well-known Bulgarian artists from the Renaissance such as Zakhari Zograph, Stanislav Dospevski, Christo Dimitrov and others. The Rila monastery is an important Bulgarian literary centre. Some of the most valuable monuments of Bulgarian literary heritage are kept in its treasury. The monastery is located 3 km east of the town of Rila. It was declared a national museum in 1961. In 1981 it was announced a UNESCO monument.
|Nessebur (Old district)|
on a small peninsula connected with the mainland by a narrow isthmus,
Nessebur is situated in the southern part of the Bulgarian Black Sea
coast. With its particular location and ancient architecture the town
makes a peculiar impression of majestic beauty and emanates a
sensation of spaciousness and uniqueness.
Enveloped in the atmosphere of antiquity, Nessebur is remarkable for the wealth of well-preserved monuments of great cultural and historical value. These are namely the antique fortress wall from 5 th - 4 th c., the early-Byzantine churches from 5 th -6 th c., the Bulgarian churches from 10 th - 14 th c., more than 60 authentic renaissance houses from the time of the Bulgarian national revival in 18 th c., assembled in a magnificent architectural complex, the number of enchanting wind-mills, beautiful cobbled streets and squares. The Nessebur churches, distinguished by their picturesque architectural style and rich outer decoration, represent one of the highest achievements in the development of Bulgarian mediaeval eclessiastical architecture. Nessebur is situated 38 km north-east of Bourgas. It was declared a museum-town in 1956.In 1983 it was announced a UNESCO monument.
|The Thracian Vault Nearby Sveshtari|
The vault is a unique monument of the Thracian Hellenistic art, dating as far back as the first half of the third century B.C. It was discovered at the archeological excavations of a Thracian mound nearby the village of Sveshtari in 1982. It comprises a passageway and 3 almost square chambers, covered by semicircular vaults. In the central chamber 2 stone beds are to be seen and above the embossed ornaments, one could admire a scene of religious character, reproducing the act of deification of a distinguished Thracian. The funeral ritual, as well as the construction, architecture and ornaments evidence that a Thracian ruler has been buried there. The vault nearby Sveshtari is a memorable monument of significant historical and cultural importance and it attests to the Thracians’ great contribution to the world’s cultural heritage. It is situated 34 km away from Razgrad.